Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Saving TIME: CBL


Since I came back from PPO School, I can’t tell you how much easier my post-production work-flow has gotten!!!! This little device has sure saved me a lot of time with color-balancing on my computer and has given that time back to me to spend with my KIDDOS!

This is the CBL (Color Balance Lens). I first picked this up at WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International)in Las Vegas last spring, but I wasn’t quite sure how to use it when I got home.

The instructors at PPO School demonstrated this little gadget and showed us how to use it effectively. It’s so SIMPLE to use! You can use it as a custom white balance before your session or you can use it as a color reference in Camera Raw in Adobe Photoshop. The cool thing about the CBL is that the backside is gray so that it can be used as an exposure reference as well.



This is how I use the CBL as a custom white balance with my Canon 5D:
1. I first set the AF-WB on my camera to the CUSTOM setting.
2. I take a picture of the CBL (I can leave it on auto-focus too).
3. I press the MENU button on my camera and set it to CUSTOM WB.
4. I select the image of the CBL photograph that I just took.
5. Then, I press SET on my camera.
6. THAT’S IT!!!! I have just saved hours worth of post-production work in Adobe Photoshop!
Remember that these can be ordered through Midwest Photo Exchange at www.mpex.com. Tell Stuart that Veronica sent you and he will give you "convention pricing" on the CBL.
Cheers!

No les puedo acabar de decir que mucho más fácil se me ha hecho el trabajo después de la produción. Este pequeño aparato me ha ahorrado mucho tiempo con el balance de color en mi computadora y me ha devuelto el tiempo para invertirlo en mis hijos.

Esto es el CBL ( Color Balance Lens). Lo conseguí en WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International) en Las Vegas esta primavera que pasó, pero al llegar a casa, no estuve segura como usarlo.

Los instructores en la escuela PPO demonstraron este aparatito y nos mostraron como usarlo efectivamente. ¡Es tan fácil usarlo! Se puede usar como un balance blanco personal antes de una sesión o como una referencia de color en Camera Raw en Adobe Photoshop. Lo suave del CBL es que el lado de atrás es gris y también se puede usar como referencia de exposición.

Así es como uso el CBL como balance blanco personal con mi Canon 5D:
1. Primero pongo el AF-WB de mi camara a la posición Personal.
2. Tomo la foto del CBL. (También puedo dejar mi cámara en enfoque automático).
3. Oprimo el botón del menú de mi camara y lo pongo en Balance Blanco Personal.
4. Selecciono la imagen del CBL que acabo de tomar.
5. Luego oprimo SET en mi cámara.
6. ¡Es todo! Me acabo de ahorrar muchas horas de trabajo después de la producción en Adobe Photoshop.

Recuerde que los CBL se pueden ordenar por medio de Midwest Photo Exchange en www. mpex.com. Dígale a Stuart que Verónica le envía y le hará precio de convención con el CBL.
¡Chao!

2 comments: